Useful links and resources
Spire was launched in 2015 as a brand of peer-facilitated supports and resources for people with Spinal Cord Injury to help them tackle issues of life. Spire is about supporting people to connect, network, contribute, participate and build community around life with SCI. They also provide detailed information, lived-experience stories and resources around returning to work post-SCI.
Australian Network on Disability
Founded in 2000, the Australian Network on Disability (AND) is a national, membership based, for purpose organisation which aims to advance the inclusion of people with disability in all aspects of business. We help our members and clients to welcome people with disability as employees, customers and suppliers.
Disability Employment Services (DES)
Disability Employment Services is an Australian Government program that assists those with a disability to find and maintain work. The Disability Management Service helps job seekers find a job and provides occasional support to maintain a job, and the Employment Support Service assists job seekers with permanent disabilities to stay in work, and provides ongoing support.
Services provided by DES include:
- Preparing people for work, interview skills and resume building
- Job search facilities
- Skill development
- Modification of work environment
- Ongoing job support
- Assistance when one risks losing their job because of disability
The NDIS and Employment
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is a new way of providing support for Australian's with a disability. Its aim is to help people with a disability achieve their goals and improve their quality of life by funding the necessary supports and services. It also funds support not provided by employers or employment services such as the Disability Employment Service (DES) or JobActive.
The NDIS will provide funding to:
- Assist participants to build employment related skills
- Assist those not eligible for DES or JobActive
- Help maintain employment
- Assistance for personal care or transport
- Assistive technology devices
- Supported employment, like the services provided by Australian Disability Enterprises
Click here to find out when the NDIS is available in your area.
JobAccess is designed for those living with a disability. It provides employment information for job seekers and employers.
Information provided by JobAccess includes:
- Available government support, including financial support, training and job support
- Your rights and responsibilities
- Videos documenting those living with disability
- Printable information sheets about JobAccess
- Information about medical conditions and further support services
JobActive is an Australian Government initiative, designed to place more Australians into work and connect job seekers with job providers. You can search for jobs on their website and keep track of job applications. It also publishes articles and information related to job searching, resume building and interview skills. JobActive providers are available to help employers and employees with recruitment and finding work.
Click here for more information regarding JobActive.